Do you love to bake? Whip up a cake? How about some other tasty treats? If you spend a good amount of their time baking in the kitchen, you might consider purchasing a stand mixer. A quality stand mixer can make your life so much easier while also saving you plenty of time.
But I will level with you. Stand mixers can be pretty pricey. Some people might wonder whether or not they really need one. Sound like you? Well, bakers, I am here to share an in-depth review of the KitchenAid Professional 600 Stand Mixer. This KitchenAid stand mixer might not be the cheapest item on your kitchen countertop, but it’s likely to become your new best friend.
Keep reading to find out everything you need to know about the KitchenAid Professional 600 Series Stand Mixer.
What’s So Good about the KitchenAid Professional 600 Stand Mixer?
When it comes to the kitchen equipment, one majorly popular name in the biz is KitchenAid. KitchenAid has been around (impressively) since 1919. This means that the company has over 100 years of experience in the United States. The company prides itself on creating kitchen game-changers. Of course, this includes the KitchenAid Professional 600 Stand Mixer or the KitchenAid Pro 600 for short.
But what makes the KitchenAid Pro 600 a standout? Why should this be the stand mixer on your kitchen countertop? If you’re going back and forth between purchasing this stand mixer or not, let me help you out by highlighting the top features these stand mixers have to offer.
Important Feature #1: 6-Quart Capacity
The first (and possibly most important) feature the potential buyer should know is that these stand mixers come with an incredible 6-quart capacity. What does that mean for you? Well, if you’re the type that likes to bake dozens and dozens of cookies in a single sitting, you will thoroughly enjoy this stand mixer.
With a 6-quart capacity, you can make up to a whopping 13 dozen cookies at a time. This also equates to 8 loaves of bread or 8 pounds of mashed potatoes. You get the idea.
If you’re someone who cooks and often bakes in incredibly large quantities, the KitchenAid Professional 600 Series 6 Quart is the stand mixer for you.
Important Feature #2: Stainless Steel Bowl
Now, what exactly is this impressively large 6-quart bowl made of? Stainless steel. Why is this important? Stainless steel ensures that the 6-quart bowl is going to last longer than the competition. It is also resistant to most things, such as rust and corrosion. Aside from being a durable and reliable 6-quart stainless steel bowl, the stainless steel bowl also provides a professional, high-class appearance. With a stainless steel bowl, you can feel like a top-notch chef from the comfort of your home.
Important Feature #3: Bowl-Lift Design
Mixing large quantities can be kind of…well, scary. With 5 pounds of pizza dough inside your bowl, it can be worrisome that the bowl will slide off. It’s also possible that the ingredients don’t get mixed the right way, leaving you with a dough that is not ready for bread making and other home baker tasks.
With the KitchenAid Pro 600, this is no longer a fear. The KitchenAid Professional 6-Quart Stand Mixer comes complete with a uniquely designed bowl-lift feature. This puts the days of a tilt head mixer to rest, which many home chefs and bakers will enjoy.
The bowl-lift design feature works in two important ways.
- It provides much-needed support and stability for the ingredients.
- It also raises the mixing bowl to the perfect position for mixing.
Needless to say, the bowl lift mixers are designed to make your life so much easier. With the bowl-lift design, there is no worry about ingredients flying off the countertop. The bowl-lift design will also ensure that your ingredients are properly mixed, making this 6-quart stand mixer the perfect tool for all of your needs. Use it as a bread machine, ice cream maker, and so much more.
Important Feature #4: 10 Speeds
Another major standout feature of these KitchenAid Stand Mixers is that they come complete with 10 different speeds. Why is this important? Well, home bakers know the importance of whipping and mixing at the right speed. Can you imagine trying to make whipped cream on low settings? No, way! While you might want to keep it at a lower speed while bread making, the same is not true for other types of ingredients.
With 10 speed options, you are finally given the customization you need to create accurate and exquisite cakes, bread, ice cream, potatoes, and so much more.
Important Feature #5: Compatible with 10 Attachments
Perhaps the coolest thing about the KitchenAid 600 Mixer Series is that it is compatible with 10 attachments. Now that’s what I call versatility! With these attachments, it’s easier than ever before to create fresh burgers and meatballs using the meatball attachment or create your own pasta – even trendy veggie pasta! Is there anything the KitchenAid Stand Mixer with a 6-quart bowl can’t do?
Aside from giving you complete versatility in the kitchen, it also means you’re getting a bigger bang for your buck. And as a shopper, personally, I always love to find a deal. While the attachments are sold separately, you don’t have to worry about purchasing entirely new equipment pieces. Just add the attachments to your shopping cart and once they’re received, attach them to your KitchenAid Professional 600 Series 6-Quart Stand Mixer and enjoy a multitude of delightful recipes.
Important Feature #6: Impressive Color Options
Now, this might not be the most important feature when it comes to the KitchenAid Professional 600 6-Quart stand mixer, but it’s still a plus that plenty of home bakers will enjoy hearing about. The KitchenAid Pro 600 Series comes in a wide range of colors to match your style and personality. It comes in the following shades – Aqua sky, espresso, ice, milkshake, onyx black, pearl metallic, silver, blue velvet, white, copper pearl, dark pewter, empire red, matte, fresh linen, nickel pearl, and toffee delight.
Important Feature #7: Comes with Extras
Last but not least, you will enjoy knowing that the KitchenAid Stand Mixer comes with a few extras to get you started. (Of course, you’re likely going to want to add the attachments for your Pro 600 Series at a later time, though!) Inside the pack, you will find the following.
- Coated flat beater
- Coated power knead spiral dough hook
- Wire whip
- Pouring shield
With all of these must-have attachments, it’s a breeze to start crafting your favorite recipes right away. Use the powerful dough hook to fold and create delicious bread right from the start. Use the wire whip mixer to froth eggs and egg whites to make cakes, cupcakes, and more.
The inclusion of the pouring shield is also a factor that you should take into account. A pouring shield will ensure that you don’t end up making a large mess when you’re working in the kitchen. It’s just one of the smaller features from the KitchenAid 600 that might get overlooked but is definitely something that customers will enjoy.
Can Do/Can’t Do
Does this mean that the KitchenAid Professional 600 Series 6-Quart Stand Mixer is the best for everything? Well, not exactly. While it can do a lot of things, it can’t do everything. Let’s take a closer look at a few of the things these mixers can and can’t do.
- It can create larger quantities at once. This is all thanks to the bowl-lift design’s inclusion paired with must-have accessories such as the dough hook and wire whip.
- It can do more than make cakes and bread. This stand mixer is more than just a stand mixer. With the ability to use multiple attachments, this isn’t just a great item for bread dough. It can also be used with meat grinders, spiralizers, grain mills, and more.
- It can offer a customized mixing. With 10 speeds, it’s a breeze to use the Professional 600 for various applications without worry that the ingredients won’t be mixed properly. Paired with the flat beats, dough hook, and bowl-lift design, everything inside the 6 qt. bowl is guaranteed to come out ready to go.
- It can’t be a great appliance for small spaces. Needless to say, the Pro 600 is very large-and-in-charge. It’s heavy, too. This makes it a not-so-great option for smaller spaces.
- It can’t be used for small portions. Trying to create small batches of something with the large Pro 600 Series Mixer can be challenging, if not impossible. It’s best not to buy this product if you only work with small batches.
- It can’t be cleaned in the dishwasher. Nope, the mixing attachments are not dishwasher-safe. This doesn’t mean that the mixer is hard to take apart, though. The bowl-lift mixer can be easily taken apart and washed, but only by hand, which is not convenient for most.
How Do You Use It?
Although the KitchenAid Mixer might be best for large quantities, that doesn’t mean it’s a challenge to use the mixer. In fact, this is a very easy mixer to use, which is why so many people fawn over it. To use your KitchenAid Mixer, simply do the following.
1. Attach the Desired Accessory
Remember that different attachments do different things. For example…
- The flat beater should be used for jobs that require stirring and blending. This is the most commonly used tool and is great for making cakes, cookies, donuts, mashed potatoes, and more. The flat beater can also be used to shred chicken and mix ingredients for savory dishes too.
- The whip is a useful tool for mixing with more power at a higher rate of speed. This is essential for creating certain dishes, such as an omelet or meringue.
- The spiral dough hook, as you might assume, is ideal for crafting doughs. Think outside of the box with dough. It doesn’t always have to be bread dough. Use the dough hook to create other types of dough, such as pizza and pretzel dough.
2. Attach the Bowl
The KitchenAid Professional 600 Stand Mixers come with a bowl-lift design instead of a tilt-head, but you will need to attach the bowl first. To attach the bowl, make sure that the stand mixer is turned off. Place the bowl-lift handle in the down position. Place the bowl on top of the locating pins and press down until it is secure.
3. Add Your Ingredients to the Bowl
Add the items as you normally would. Keep in mind, though, that the bowl-lift design is a bit more challenging to work with when it comes to ingredients getting stuck to the side. For that reason, it’s best to make sure you have the right amount of ingredients and enough moisture to stop this from happening. Otherwise, you will need to scrape the ingredients off the bowl’s sides from time to time.
4. Turn the Mixer On and Select the Correct Speed
Remember: The KitchenAid Stand Mixer comes with 10 speeds to get the job done right, but you need to know which speeds are best for the item you are creating. So, to make it a bit easier, let’s take a look at the speeds.
- Speeds 1-3. These lowest speeds are perfect for gentle mixing and stirring. This is best for recipes that call for flour or milk to be added, such as when making bread or mashed potatoes.
- Speeds 4-5. Medium mixing should be reserved for when mixing or beating is necessary. This will provide a silky smooth finish.
- Speeds 6-7. Medium-high mixing speeds of 6 and 7 are right for beating and creaming. This is the speed that is commonly used for “finishing” recipes, such as when making a cake.
- Speeds 8-10. The highest speed settings should be used when air needs to be incorporated into the ingredients. This is reserved mostly for recipes that need whipped eggs or cream. The end result is a fluffier mixture.
5. When Completed, Remove Ingredients and Clean
It’s easy to take the KitchenAid Mixer apart, but remember, it can only be washed by hand. So, the sooner you start cleaning off the particles, the better.
What Do the Reviews Say?
Sure, you can read a KitchenAid Professional 600 Stand Mixer Review and be satisfied. But wouldn’t you like to hear what other customers had to say? The good news is that almost every stand mixer review was positive. Customers love how easy the mixer is to use and the high quantities it can handle.
However, there were a few downsides to the Pro 600 mixer. The biggest drawback is that this mixer tends to be on the loud side. After all, it’s a powerful mixer. If noise is a problem, you might be better off with a hand mixer instead. Another issue that a review or two mentioned was that the bowl was hard to place in the “correct” spot. It takes a little bit of elbow grease, but it’s still not a big enough problem to give the product less than four stars.
Here are a few video reviews to check out:
How Does It Compare?
Ok, we have looked at all of the features of these stand mixers. We also took a look at how to use the stand mixers and what customers had to say about using them. But how does it stand up to the competition? Is there a better stand mixer that’s right for you? Let’s look at how the KitchenAid stand mixers stand up to other industry favorites.
KitchenAid Pro 600 vs KitchenAid Artisan
It’s no secret that people love KitchenAid appliances. That said, we decided to go head-to-head with another popular favorite, the KitchenAid Artisan. There are a few key differences between these two stand mixers.
- The Artisan comes with a 5 qt. bowl instead of a 6 qt. bowl. While this is only a single quart difference, some may find that they only need 5 quarts instead of the larger model. That said, if you bake or cook in smaller batches, the Artisan might be a better purchase.
- The Artisan is dishwasher-safe. Anyone looking for convenience? I don’t know about you, but I can’t stand washing by hand. I prefer a dishwasher. Sound like you? Then you might like the fact that the Artisan model is designed using dishwasher-safe materials.
- The Artisan is designed with a tilt-head design. The Professional 600 mixer is designed with a bowl-lift, which many people enjoy. If you prefer a tilt-head instead, then you will like the Artisan. Some people find that it is easier to use than the bowl-lift but is a bit harder to stabilize.
Both the Professional 600 and Artisan mixers have incredible mixing action for flawless results. However, the main difference is that the Artisan is smaller with a tilt-head rather than a bowl-lift. So, those who bake using smaller quantities might want to purchase the Artisan instead.
KitchenAid Pro 600 vs Cuisinart SM-70
Another popular name in the game is Cuisinart, so it’s no wonder why we wanted to put the KitchenAid and Cuisinart stand mixers up against each other. Let’s dive right in!
- The Cuisinart comes with a 7-quart stainless steel bowl. This is slightly larger than the KitchenAid model, which only comes with 6 quarts.
- The Cuisinart comes with 12 speeds. Again, Cuisinart proves to be a bit better by allowing for 12 speeds rather than 10. It also has a slow-start and gentle-fold function to ensure you’re getting the results you love.
- The Cuisinart is a tilt model. This comes down to personal preference. Some home chefs love the tilt-head design, while others find the bowl-lift design superior. This is especially true when making large quantities in the kitchen, as you want the most stability and protection.
As far as features are concerned, the Cuisinart comes with special stand mixer attachments such as meat grinders and spiralizers, just as the Pro 600. So which one is better? If you’re on a budget, the Cuisinart is a better pick. If you want a bowl-lift and are willing to spend a little more, the Pro 600 is the better purchase.
Why Is My KitchenAid Stand Mixer Not Working?
Having trouble with your KitchenAid not working correctly? The first thing to do is to make sure that it is plugged in. Try resetting the circuit breaker of the house circuit you’re using. If the mixer doesn’t work when plugged in, check the power cord for any cuts, rips, or other damage. If all is well, move on to the cord’s wiring connections. Reconnect loose wires and repair any broken wires. Check the motor brush. If it’s worn down, it may need to be replaced. If you can hear the motor whirring, but there is no movement, the windings will need replacement. Other possible reasons for problems include these.
- Failed control plate
- Failed control board
- Tripped motor overload
Is It Worth Buying a Refurbished KitchenAid Mixer?
A KitchenAid stand mixer system is not cheap. So, if you’re looking to save a buck, you might consider going the refurbished route. Is this a good idea? For the most part, yes. Buying refurbished means a lower price tag, and there likely isn’t a change to the quality. Plus, if it is missing a user manual, you can look online or ask the company for a new one.
Which KitchenAid Mixer Is Better – Tilt Head or Bowl-Lift?
Is a tilt or lift mode right for you? The KitchenAid 600 Series comes with a bowl-lift design, which is better for overall stability, especially when handling large quantities of ingredients necessary when making multiple loaves of bread or creating big batches of cookies. Bowl-lifts tend to be far more powerful, too.
A tilt model, on the other hand, is a bit easier to use and attach. It also provides a better drip when ingredients are stuck to the bowl’s sides, whether it’s a stainless steel bowl or a glass bowl. The bowl-lift is more challenging to work with when it comes to stuck-on ingredients, as they will need to be moved down manually.
So, what’s the final thought on the Professional 600? If you create large quantities of items in your kitchen, you will love the features of the 600 Series. The 10 speeds, large mixing bowl, and bowl-lift design are enough to leave you feeling confident and satisfied with your purchase. It also has other features, like a pouring shield to keep you clean while cooking like a workhorse in your kitchen and many kitchen attachments that allow more versatility with just a single product.
On the other hand, you might not enjoy the 600 Series from KitchenAid if you don’t cook or bake in large quantities. For those who don’t bake or cook as regularly, a smaller model will be more efficient. In fact, these stand mixers can’t work with small portions. You might be better off with a hand mixer!
Overall, the KitchenAid 600 has plenty of features that are well worth the price tag. This is especially true for those that bake or cook in large quantities. The product and its features trample the competition in many ways, and almost every review of this stand mixer is positive. This allows you to feel confident in your purchase, which is always a major plus when shopping, especially if it’s for something you plan on using almost every day!